Faded Peace of the World

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Peace, according to Wiki, is defined as a state of harmony characterized by the lack of violence, conflict behaviors and the freedom from fear of violence. In short, peace can simply be the absence of violence and the absence of the fear of violence.

The Australia and US-based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) has just recently released a report on a survey conducted by them which gives key indicators how peaceful the world we're all in is. The June 11th report has taken 162 countries into its index which was finally compiled and known as the 2013 Global Peace Index (GPI), the world's leading measure of national peacefulness. According to the index, the world peace is deteriorating by 5% mark in comparison to the last 5 years (2008). The largest contributing factor to this decline is the war-torn Syria when the middle eastern country's GPI drops by 70%. This also made Syria (score of 3.393) into the bottom three in the peace index (160 out of 162).

Sitting at the top of the index with 1.162 points is Iceland. It maintains its reigning position for the third straight year. It then followed by Denmark (1.207), New Zealand (1.237), Austria (1.250), and Switzerland (1.272) in the top five positions of the most peaceful countries in the world. Note that the lower scores actually translate to higher state of peace. Asia's finest, Japan, improved to 6th position from the 7th spot in 2012. Finland (1.297), Canada (1.306), Sweden (1.319) and Belgium (1.339) complete the list of top 10 countries in the index.

As expected, those few war-ravaged, conflicting countries will sit at the very bottom of the list. Afghanistan drops to the last spot with 3.440 points scored and followed by Somalia (3.394) at second worst. Iraq (3.245), Sudan (3.242), Pakistan (3.306), Congo (3.085), Russia (3.060), North Korea (3.044), and Central Africa (3.031) join above Syria in the GPI list.

Since 7 out of the 10 top peaceful countries belonged to European continent, the region is considered to be the most peaceful compared to other regions. North America region comes second to Europe, thanks to high-scoring Canada. The third continent with higher state of peace could probably be the Asia. Although Japan is the only country put high in the top 10 and Singapore (1.438) at #16, many other Asian countries come up in the 20s. Taiwan (1.538) grabs #26 spot and Malaysia (1.574) is at #29. Sadly, Brunei is not at all listed in the index. IEP must have been forgotten about this little kingdom called Brunei. Else, it may be sitting above Taiwan and Malaysia in the GPI, at least.

From the GPI map, ASEAN countries are doing quite well in maintaining peace. Singapore is in the best state of peace in the region while Malaysia, Vietnam, and Laos are in the top 50. Only Thailand, Myanmar, and the Philippines are in the danger zone, each one closes to 130th positions. Since I live in Malaysia, I think I agree with the report. Although there are rampant armed robberies, auto thefts, rape cases, and other petty offenses, it's still safe to walk alone in any parts of the country without carrying a weapon for self protection. Vigilant is all we need to remember to be.

Key GPI indicators for Malaysia:

• Political instability: 1.5
  • Terrorist activity: 1.0
  • Nuke and heavy weapons: 1.36
  • Adult literacy rate: 93.1%
  • Hostility to foreigners: 1/4
Filed Under: General

Comments

FredericUnited StatesFrederic said:

Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this website before but after browsing through some of the articles I realized it's new boiler cost ( Frederic - Gettogetherlive.com/.../ ) to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely pleased I came across it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

mytravelingspirit.comUnited Statesmytravelingspirit.com said:

Great weblog here! Also your website a lot up fast! What host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate link for your host? I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

Si deseas conocer m�s alrededor de este respecto, �nicamente has de encaminarte a loft conversions ( mytravelingspirit.com - mytravelingspirit.com/.../ ).

Http://Www.Munchies.It/Read_Blog/2795082/Seattle-Boiler-Maintenance-And-Repair,-Setup-From-Nw-MechanicalUnited StatesHttp://Www.Munchies.It/Read_Blog/2795082/Seattle-Boiler-Maintenance-And-Repair,-Setup-From-Nw-Mechanical said:

whoah this weblog is excellent i really like studying your articles. Keep up the good work! You realize, many individuals are searching round for this info, you can aid them greatly.

Si deseas conocer m�s a prop�sito esto, s�lo has de dirigirte hasta Boiler Replacement ( Www.Munchies.It/.../Seattle-Boiler-Maintenance-And-Repair,-Setup-From-Nw-Mechanical - www.munchies.it/.../seattle-boiler-maintenance-and-repair,-setup-from-nw-mechanical ).

Health For LifeHealth For Life said:

whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like reading your articles. Stay up the great work! You already know, lots of persons are searching around for this info, you can help them greatly.

Also visit my webpage  Health For Life - www.scoop.it/.../health-for-life-good-health-and-live-longer

Health For LifeHealth For Life said:

I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

my web blog;  Health For Life - http://www.slideshare.net/lme2health

healthy for youhealthy for you said:

Hi every one, here every one is sharing these familiarity, so it's nice to read this blog, and I used to go to see this blog everyday.

my web blog ...  healthy for you - https://storify.com/lme2health

สมาคมนิยมสาวน่ารักที่ชอบเชียร์บอลแห่งประเทศไทยสมาคมนิยมสาวน่ารักที่ชอบเชียร์บอลแห่งประเทศไทย said:

Hi! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I'm trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. With thanks!

Take a look at my blog  สมาคมนิยมสาวน่ารักที่ชอบเชียร์บอลแห่งประเทศไทย - www.facebook.com/prettyandcutegirlfootballclub

Health For LifeHealth For Life said:

Hi my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, nice written and come with approximately all significant infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

my weblog  Health For Life - http://friendfeed.com/healthforlifebylme2

health carehealth care said:

May I just say what a relief to find somebody that really understands what they're talking about online. You certainly know how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More and more people ought to read this and understand this side of the story. I can't believe you are not more popular because you certainly have the gift.

Take a look at my blog:  health care - https://profiles.wordpress.org/lme2health/

RebekahUnited StatesRebekah said:

Las conversaciones de chat no son la única cosa que puedes hacer con Windows Live [ Rebekah - http://tinyurl.com/descargar-windows-live ] Messenger.

LakeishaUnited StatesLakeisha said:

Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using? I'm going to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique.                  P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Si quieres informarte m�s acerca de este aspecto, solamente tienes que ir hasta loft conversion cost ( Lakeisha - xazina.com/.../...s-lesson-in-suburban-living.html ).

http://modulmeb.ruUnited Stateshttp://modulmeb.ru said:

Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after going through many of the articles I realized it's new to me. Anyhow, I'm certainly delighted I came across it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!

Llegado el caso de que quieres averiguar algo m�s a prop�sito esta cuesti�n, �nicamente tienes que ir a boiler replacement ( http://modulmeb.ru - modulmeb.ru/profile/MagNicolay/created/topics/ ).

Santiago Santana CazorlaUnited StatesSantiago Santana Cazorla said:

También se había sustituido el grano de café recién molido por café envasado al vacío a fin de que este no sufriera la invasión de fragancias en los traslados.

Si se da la circunstancia de que te apetece conocer m�s a este respecto, tan solo tienes que partir a:  Santiago Santana Cazorla - www.infojobs.net/.../em-i481055524537101321246134852051 .

foro ser emprendedor malaga 2013United Statesforo ser emprendedor malaga 2013 said:

Es ese paseo lo que les enseña que es la constancia y la pasión por su idea lo que los lleva finalmente al éxito y a  foro ser emprendedor malaga 2013 - santiagosantanacazorla.bligoo.es/santiago-santana-cazorla-lago-taurito  emprendedores increíbles.

noticias musicalesUnited Statesnoticias musicales said:

Mira, cuento con un ordenador nuevo con XP instalado y placa base ASUS que necesito que no se apague (que salga el mensajito de ahora puede apagar el equipo), para esto cuento con que quitar un controlador de hard llamado 'Equipo compatible.... ACPI' y windows te instala otro que se llama 'computador estándar'.

Si quisi�ses informarte m�s a este tema, tan solo debes de partir a  noticias musicales - https://mibandejadeentradadehotmail.wordpress.com/ .

ThurmanUnited StatesThurman said:

Si es una cuenta falsa, es más probable que no tenga familiares en Fb. Puedes intentar repasar los amigos en común entre la persona sospechosa y sus amigos.

Llegado el caso de que te interesa conocer algo m�s a prop�sito esta cuesti�n, solamente tienes que ir a: bajar Facebook ( Thurman - http://tinyurl.com/descargar-facebook ).

www.youtubeconverter.coUnited Stateswww.youtubeconverter.co said:

Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is simply nice and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

Llegado el caso de que te gustar�a conocer m�s sobre esto, solamente tienes que encaminarte a: boiler replacement cost ( www.youtubeconverter.co - http://www.youtubeconverter.co/https://www.rebelmouse.com/.../...-ins-628822725.html.html ).

MaikUnited StatesMaik said:

El protagonista indiscutible de su oferta gastronómica es el döner kebab, literalmente traducido “carne que gira”, que está elaborado con la propia receta ADK y se puede saborear tanto de ternera como de pollo.

Si te gustar�a averiguar algo m�s acerca de esto, �nicamente tienes que encaminarte a: Santana Cazorla ( Maik - www.dossierempresarial.com/leernoticia.asp?id=3553 ).

http://www.alimarket.es/empresa/370856/HERMANOS-SANTANA-CAZORLA--S-L-United Stateshttp://www.alimarket.es/empresa/370856/HERMANOS-SANTANA-CAZORLA--S-L- said:

Pienso que la capacitación previa de los emprendedores actuales es de notoria relevancia frente a un ámbito día tras día más competente como lo es el empresarial.

Si por un casual quieres conocer m�s a este aspecto, s�lo tienes que encaminarte hasta Santiago Santana Cazorla -  www.alimarket.es/.../HERMANOS-SANTANA-CAZORLA--S-L- - www.alimarket.es/.../HERMANOS-SANTANA-CAZORLA--S-L-  -.

www.laprovincia.esUnited Stateswww.laprovincia.es said:

La posibilidad de tomar las bridas y autogobernar la vida profesional es otro de los motivos que impulsan a entregar el paso, explica J. Lluch (MBA ‘99), de Impactmedia.

Llegado el caso de que te inquieta conocer un poco m�s a esto, solamente tienes que dirigirte a: Santiago Santana Cazorla ( www.laprovincia.es - www.laprovincia.es/.../635833.html ).

(Will show your Gravatar icon)

Country flag